Saturday 8 December 2007

Silly season is here..but not at Vanidols!

Yes. That crazy, frenzied eat-a-thon sometimes called Christmas is upon us, and Rita has been doing her very level best to keep up with the rest of you!

The dining this week has mostly comprised home meals chez Rita, so not able to be blogged - but even more appetising than your common or garden restaurant ones, let me hasten to assure you!

But - it was Friday night last night. All I wanted was a bite of takeaway food, then home to shed the weeks worries and woes, and slump into a comatose state on the lounge, watching 'Better Homes and Gardens'.

Ambled into a quietish Vanidols to grab the pre-ordered takeaway, to be confronted by - (you're now in Rita's head, hearing her internal thoughts to self...) "Shit that guy looks familiar. He's smiling caringly at me, so obviously knows me. He says 'Hello' as he approaches me much like a maitre d', still smiling. He must be a guy I've had business dealings with. He seems quite relaxed."

Then I notice cameramen, lighting men and camera action. The familiar guy, I suddenly realise is Ben O'Donohue or Bender. The chef off 'Surfing the Waves'? I don't have Austar, but apparently he comperes the Lifestyle cooking show, and what was actually happening at Vanidols was that they'd won an award as a result of viewers votes of Best Restaurant 2007, or Best Asian Restaurant (or something fabulous, anyway), so obviously the crew were there for some background to the award.

My message - to cut to the chase - bloody well done Vanidols! The takeaway was just what was required, and I love the added bonus you get there of TV chefs welcoming you!

For one crazy moment I had Susan Sarandon pushed aside at the Oscars while I received mine! Unfortunately not to be.
Posted on by Rita
3 comments

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has got to be the best line I have ever read on a blog.

"He must be a guy I've had business dealings with. He seems quite relaxed."

Well done to Vanidols, a favourite of mine from when I lived in Nth Hobart. Despite the number of eateries opening in Elizabeth St, Vanidols remains full most nights. You can't argue with that.

Rita said...

Aw Forde - are YOU taking the piss as well? First my kids, now you! I s'pose I leave myself wide open!

Seriously, I agree totally about Vanidols. It's always full, no matter what. And the food pretty well always consistent.

Anonymous said...

:(