Monday 28 January 2008

Korean shopping

Popped in today to the new Korean grocery shop in King Street, Sandy Bay (next door to Dome and the Sandy Bay PO) called Sandy Mart to check out their range of products. My Thai friends had told me about them, and recommended I go there.

They could well prove to be a force to be reckoned with in the future for Wings. Their products are similar to what Wings carries, but with more of a Korean slant. They have an interesting Ice Cream fridge with the usual assortment of ice creams we'd see in a normal corner shop, for instance what we call Drumsticks - except these are all labelled in Korean (I presume) script, which makes it something of a lottery - but, hey, what's the harm with living dangerously and trying something new? I saw one with an English translation on it which was Green Tea ice cream, so you're not going to seriously do any damage to yourself by eating one of these interesting food items!

So - I recommend a visit at some stage to this interesting little shop. Acquaint yourself with their products, and their staff. Ask questions about the food, and recipes. They are open Mon - Sat 9 am till 9 pm, and Sunday 9 am till 5 pm.

The main points of difference for them are:

they are a tad cheaper
they are open longer
they are more into healthy food, so the young lady there today told me.

And from the Public Notices in Saturdays Mercury:

Applications for Liquor Licences for Lesley Geraghty for Granny Lews Organic Cafe in Huonville; and for Paul Jubb for a premises called Red Square Cafe and Bar at the Harvey Norman complex, Cambridge Park.

Looks like we have a fancy new name for the development down there at Cambridge! Cambridge Park! Sounds like something Jane Austen would have named her latest novel after.
Posted on by Rita
8 comments

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sandy Mart has caught my eye a couple of times in the past week, Rita.
I first spied it as I queued at the lights after walking the dog at marieville Esplanade.
I must park and go in next time. It looks small, though.
By the way, old GP gave Smolt a bit of a slap in the Sunday Mercury, didn't he?
His piece on food and sex was a bit offputting. What next..
Your sausage...does it measure up!?!

Anonymous said...

As Graham was late off the mark, many others have written about this topic much before with more conviction, he must be hard up for stories?

Rita said...

It's not too small Sir G, but not as big as the whole Wings complex. It's an interesting place even just for a look and wander.

Yes, GP did give Smolt a bit of a razz along. Oh well, I hope it doesn't affect their trade too much. Hopefully they've been trading long enough now to build up a bit of a loyal following, and those are the people that'll follow up on the first visit, and keep you going through the long Tassie winter when all the tourists have long since left.

Anonymous said...

On the Sun Merc review, he has done an about face on Marque IV & now loves it, previously he didn't rate it at all. This is is just a face saving excercise as he does not want to be out of step with the national praise that everyone has for Paul & the team.

Tassiegal said...

Saw the Korean Mart late Friday night and made a mental note to go investigate.
Totally OT - had dinner in Henry's a the Henry Jones Hotel last night...the food is really really good! (yeah I am surprised, I dont normally hold much stead in hotel resturants).

Anonymous said...

Trouble is, their cuisine has been dogged by bad publicity, Rita.

Rita said...

tassiegal - are you going to review Henry's?

Sir G - you are awful! (But I like you!!)

Tassiegal said...

Rita - I wasnt going to but I think I must...wont be in my usual form though as I have NO idea how much it cost due to the fact it was charged to our room. (yeah I am local but we stayed O/N in one of the suites for my b'day....SWANK is understated).